Map
Walking Tour
St. James Chapel
Hyde Park, New York
Quick Links
javascript

Bard Infant School and St. James Chapel

10 East Market Street

Following a bequest by Susan Mary Bard (granddaughter of Dr. John Bard) in 1831, this school was built and maintained under the auspices of St. James Episcopal Church to serve the children of the community. After a new town school was built in 1869, this building was used as a reading room. The Greek Revival style portico with pedimented gable leads to a double door with sidelights and transom. The Arts and Crafts fieldstone chimney and fireplace mantel were added in 1913.

The architecture of the attached chapel built in 1856 reflects the published designs of Richard Upjohn's Carpenter Gothic style including board and batten siding, steeply pitched gable roof, stained glass windows, upper trefoil design, open belfry with cast iron bell and pointed spire. The interior has intact wood scissor trusses and elaborately carved Gothic tracery. The chapel served as a winter auxiliary to the unheated main church located on Albany Post Road. Parishioners James and Sarah Roosevelt had their infant son Franklin baptized here on March 20, 1882.

Historic Place Nomination Form
Nomination Form Photos

Location of this site
Previous Site
Return to Walking Tour
Next Site

This site uses links to PDF files. In order to view them you must have a PDF reader. For more information, click here.

index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind
© Town of Hyde Park NY
Disclaimer

Last updated at Thursday Feb 05, 2015 09:38:13