Map
Community
Schools
Hyde Park, New York
Quick Links

Town of Hyde Park Schools

Hyde Park Central School District

The Hyde Park Central School District provides public K-12 education for the Town of Hyde Park and parts of the Towns of Poughkeepsie, Rhinebeck, Clinton and Pleasant Valley. It has seven school buildings, three of which were built in the Hyde Park Central School District with a grant from the Public Works Administration (PWA) of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's administration: Haviland Middle School which was original dedicated as the Franklin Delano Roosevelt High School but was later renamed when a new high school building was constructed, Hyde Park Elementary School and Violet Avenue Elementary School. The total cost of construction of the three historic buildings was $1,300,000 with $585,000 coming from a PWA grant. Construction began in December of 1938 and was completed in December of 1939. All three buildings are still working school buildings in the district.

Haviland Middle School

(Formerly Franklin Delano Roosevelt High School)

Haviland Middle School - Photo courtesy H. Sweet

Originally named "Franklin Delano Roosevelt High School", the building was renamed to "Haviland Middle School" in 1966 when a new High School building was constructed on South Cross Road. Benjamin Haviland was the farmer who originally owned the land the school was built on.


Hyde Park Elementary School

Hyde Park Elementary School - Photo courtesy H. Sweet

Since its completing in 1939, the Hyde Park Elementary School has had three additions. In 1955, six classrooms were added and in 1963 the gymnasium, Library and Art Room were added. The most recent addition was in 1990 when a BOCES wing was added.


Violet Avenue Elementary School

Violet Avenue Elementary School - Photo courtesy H. Sweet

Violet Avenue was named for the many violet-growing florists and violet wagons transporting the flowers to steamboats for shipment to New York City.


Culinary Institute of America

Culinary Institute of America Roth Hall - Photo courtesy H. Sweet

The Culinary Institute of America opened its campus in Hyde Park in 1970 at the site of a former Jesuit Seminary.


This site uses links to PDF files. In order to view them you must have a PDF reader. For more information, click here.

index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind
© Town of Hyde Park NY
Disclaimer

Last updated at Tue Dec 23 16:30:05 2014